Book Name: Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step
Author: John Sharp
Series: Developer Reference
Publisher: Microsoft Press, Year: 2022
Your hands-on guide to Visual C# fundamentals with Visual Studio 2022
Expand your expertise―and teach yourself the fundamentals of programming the latest version of Visual C# with Visual Studio 2022. This book provides software developers all the guidance, exercises, and code needed to start building responsive, scalable, cloud-connected applications that can run almost anywhere.
Discover how to:
- Quickly start creating Visual C# code and projects with Visual Studio
- Work with variables, operators, expressions, methods, and program flow
- Build more robust apps with error, exception, and resource management
- Spot problems fast with the integrated Visual Studio 2022 debugger
- Master new default interface methods, static local functions, async disposable types, and other enhancements
- Make the most of the C# object model, and create functional data structures
- Leverage advanced properties, indexers, generics, and collection classes
- Create Windows 11 apps that share data, collaborate, and use cloud services
- Use lightweight records to build immutable reference types more easily
- Perform complex queries over object collections with LINQ
- Improve application throughput and response time with asynchronous methods
- Use delegates and decoupling to construct highly extensible systems
- Customize C# operator behavior over your own classes and structures
- Implement the powerful Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM) pattern
- Build UWP applications that retrieve complex data and present it intuitively
Summary of “Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step” by John Sharp
Main Topic or Theme of the Book
“Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step” is a comprehensive guide to learning the C# programming language using Microsoft Visual Studio. The book is designed for beginners who have no prior programming experience and for programmers who want to learn C# language.
Key Ideas or Arguments Presented
The book covers the following topics:
- Introduction to C# and Visual Studio
- Basic programming concepts like data types, variables, expressions, and flow control
- Object-oriented programming concepts like classes, objects, inheritance, and interfaces
- Advanced C# concepts like exception handling, delegates, events, and generics
- Creating Windows desktop applications using Windows Forms
- Creating web applications using ASP.NET and MVC
Chapter Titles or Main Sections of the Book with a Paragraph on Each
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with C#: This chapter provides an introduction to C# and Visual Studio.
- Chapter 2: Writing Your First C# Program: This chapter teaches basic programming concepts like data types, variables, expressions, and flow control using simple C# programs.
- Chapter 3: Understanding Objects: This chapter explains object-oriented programming concepts like classes, objects, inheritance, and interfaces using real-world examples.
- Chapter 4: Understanding Encapsulation: This chapter explains encapsulation, a fundamental concept of object-oriented programming that helps create robust and maintainable code.
- Chapter 5: Understanding Inheritance and Polymorphism: This chapter explains inheritance, a powerful feature of object-oriented programming that allows you to create new classes based on existing ones.
- Chapter 6: Understanding Interfaces: This chapter explains interfaces, a mechanism for defining a set of related methods that a class can implement.
- Chapter 7: Understanding Exception Handling: This chapter explains how to handle exceptions, unexpected events that occur during program execution.
- Chapter 8: Working with Delegates and Events: This chapter explains how to use delegates and events, powerful features of C# that allow you to define and raise events.
- Chapter 9: Understanding Generics: This chapter explains generics, a powerful feature of C# that allows you to create reusable code that works with any data type.
- Chapter 10: Creating Windows Desktop Applications: This chapter explains how to create Windows desktop applications using Windows Forms, a framework for building graphical user interfaces.
- Chapter 11: Creating Web Applications with ASP.NET: This chapter explains how to create web applications using ASP.NET, a framework for building web applications.
- Chapter 12: Creating Web Applications with ASP.NET MVC: This chapter explains how to create web applications using ASP.NET MVC, a framework for building web applications that follows the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architectural pattern.
Key Takeaways or Conclusions
- “Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step” is a comprehensive guide to learning the C# programming language using Microsoft Visual Studio.
- The book covers basic and advanced programming concepts, object-oriented programming, and creating desktop and web applications using Windows Forms, ASP.NET, and ASP.NET MVC.
Author’s Background and Qualifications
John Sharp is a software development consultant and author with over 25 years of experience in the software industry. He has written several books on programming languages and frameworks, including C#, Visual Basic, and .NET. He is also a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD) and a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP).
Comparison to Other Books on the Same Subject
“Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step” is comparable to other popular C# books like “C# 8.0 and .NET Core 3.0 – Modern Cross-Platform Development” by Mark.